民主楼 Democracy Buiding2017-07-26
民主楼 Democracy Buiding
Primitive name: Ning De building, the Religion building
Location: Near the left side of The Office Building of the President
Category: Architectural relic
民主楼是燕园第一座建筑，作为徐晓的宗教学院所在地，由在上海的甘维尔夫妇捐赠，以纪念前美会会督宁德威廉牧师（Bishop William X. Ninde）。宁德威廉牧师与其妻1895年来华，自此从未中断过祷告，祈求这个伟大而有着悠久历史的国家早日福音化。宁德楼二楼有小礼拜堂，学校的主要圣事都在这里举行，这里还进行许多重要的选举，这个礼拜堂至今犹在。1999年成立北京大学外国语学院以后，原来门口挂着“西方语言文学系”的牌子已经被“韩国文化研究所”的牌子所取代。
The democracy building was the first construction in the campus, as the building of the Institute of Religious . It was built with the private fortunes of a couple who lived in Shang Hai, in memory of Bishop William X. Ninde. The bishop came to China with his wife in 1895, and never stopped praying for China, the great country that had a long history, to be blessed by God. In the second floor of the building, there was a small church. In that time,people in the university hold most of the holy ceremonies in this little church. And the church is still there today. After the of the setting up of the College of Foreign Languages in Peking University in 1999, the board reading "English major" was replace by another reading "The Institution of Korean Culture."